NARS Sheer Glow is a more luminous foundation which can sometimes reflect back with flash because of the shimmer in the foundation so i’d suggest going for a foundation that’s more on the matte/satin side and avoiding foundation with SPF! If you still want that glow that Sheer Glow gives i’d suggest using a shimmer highlighter to add glow to the cheek bones and down the nose which will look great in pictures!
Try foundations like
- Maybelline Super Stay
- Makeup Forever HD
- Laura Mercier Silk Creme
- Rimmel Stay Matte Mousse
Tips for makeup for photos
- Go a shade darker with your foundation. Your foundation (especially with flash) can look lighter in photos so going with a shade darker and blending down your neck will avoid a white face in photos.
- Apply a little extra blush and bronzer. Your cheek products (and makeup in general) tends to get washed out in photos so you want to apply a little more than usual to ensure it shows up in pictures. I’d suggest applying more bronzer in more areas like the temples, cheeks, under the chin, jaw line, etc to really sculpt and bronze the face so it shows up will in photos.
- Avoid too much shimmer. Go for a matte blush and bronzer and use a highlighter for added glow/sheen. If all your cheek products are shimmery they will sort of mush and blend together in the photos and look a shimmery mess. Same with eyeshadow, when using all shimmer shadows you won’t be able to distinguish the crease shade, lid shade, etc as well in photos so incorporate some matte shades in your look.
I would start off with using a deeper blue red more like a stain! This way you can get comfortable with the color without starting off with a super bold lip! To use as a stain you can dap the lipstick directly onto your lips or pick up some of the lipstick with your fingers and pat and blend into the lips for a sheer even color. A red stain looks very healthy and natural like you just exfoliated your lips!
You also might want to try starting off with a lighter blue red like a true red and then trying more deeper blue reds :)
- Use lip liner. This will really define your lips and the lipstick so it looks a lot more “professional” and sleek and help the lipstick last longer!
- Go for minimal eye makeup like a simple winged liner, winged liner and a red lip is very vintage and pin up girl so it will tie the look together making it more wearable and comfortable to wear!
- Wear a sheer layer. Just because the color is bold doesnt mean you have to wear it at it’s full opacity! Apply one layer and blend it out with your fingers for a bold yet not too bold lip color.
Try some blue red shades like
Wet n Wild Mega Last Lipstick in Cherry Bomb
Revlon Kissable Balm Stain in Crush (semi sheer deeper blue red)
Rimmel Kate Moss Lipstick in 107
I have a few different foundations I use for different occasions! Keep in mind I have combination oily skin and prefer a more satin/semi glowy finish.
My top 3 favorites are (i’ll list some dupes below)
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua
- Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk
- Dior Skin Forever
My every day foundation is Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua because it’s super light weight (water based), gives a good medium coverage and looks really natural and glowy. It never looks cakey or over done which I love for every day like school, grocery shopping, errands, etc. I have combination oily skin so I love that it melts into the skin through out the day instead of getting oily it just looks dewy and fresh all day. Make sure to shake the bottle before each use since it is water based!
My flawless foundation routine would include Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk. It has a medium to buildable coverage so i can get a fuller coverage finish when I want to look extra flawless. The finish is so beautiful, like a glowy satin, not dewy but not matte. Think NARS Sheer Glow but with more coverage and more long lasting. Just make sure to shake the bottle before each use because it will separate!
When I want my foundation to last all day I got for Dior Skin Forever! It has a medium to full coverage and a satin finish. It’s very creamy and blend able so it looks really flawless on the skin. It’s long wearing without being too drying and matte. Great for more combination skin like mine!
Some dupes for these/drugstore foundations I enjoy are Loreal Magic Lumi Foundation (Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk dupe) and Maybelline Superstay (Dior Skin Forever dupe).
A good foundation depends on a few factors such as skin type, if you have discoloration/acne, what type of finish you prefer, etc so check out my drugstore foundation guide here!
To get a really natural finish I really recommend using a damp sponge to apply your foundation! Sponges to apply foundation are really popular right now because they blend out makeup without any streaks/brush lines to get a really flawless finish and the dampness of the sponge thins out the foundation a bit so you can apply the thinnest layer possible without applying too much product. You can layer on foundation or apply concealer in areas that need it for extra coverage without over applying foundation resulting in looking cakey!
These are different than the triangle sponges you buy in a pack because these sponges are meant to be washed and reused sort of like a brush! So you can use these over and over. It’s best to replace them after a few months and it’s best to wash after each use. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible before using, you want to use it damp not wet!
My favorite sponge is the Beauty Blender sponge which you can get at Nordstrom, Sephora or online. A great more affordable option in the Real Technique’s Sponge (available at Ulta, Walgreens, Walmart, online) or the Sonia Kashuk Sponge (available at Target).
You want to go for more blue based lipsticks as opposed to yellow based lipsticks! Blue based lipsticks will make teeth appear whiter while yellow based lipsticks will just bring out any yellowness you may have in your teeth! Stay away from yellow toned shades like peach, orange, coral, etc. Go for shades like plum, purpley pinks, berries, fuchsias, purples, deep blue reds, etc. Basically any shade with a strong purple or blue undertone! :)
Try some shades like
Wet n Wild Sugar Plum Fairy, Milani Uptown Mauve or MAC Rebel (bright blue/purple pinks)
Lighter pink shades like plum and mauves such as Maybelline Color Whisper in Plum Prospect, MAC Up the Amp, MAC Snob and Revlon Berry Haute.
Luckily I love all things beauty so I do know a little about hair and skin and other beauty related topics! Plus answering non makeup related questions is a little fun and different :)
A few tips
- Try applying mousse to the bottom half of the hair where you would curl it when it’s wet and let it dry. Mousse will help any style hold and last longer without being too noticeable like gel or hairspray. It makes your hair have a little more grip so it’s not as smooth/slippery so curls will fall.
- Curl your hair on second day hair. Similar to adding mousse, the hair won’t be as “clean” on the second day and have more grip to it to stay put when you style it. Hair that is too soft and clean doesn’t curl all that well!
- Curl in smaller sections. Using too big of sections will cause too big of curl which will make it more heavy and more prone to straightening out through out the day. Curling in smaller sections keeps the hair light so your curl will hold.
- Use a smaller curling wand. Usually those with harder to curl hair use a smaller wand because since the curls will fall out after an hour or so the curls will fall to large, looser curls. I’d suggest trying it out with different smaller wands and see which result you like best!
- Find a curling wand with customizable heat settings. Some curling wands/irons have the option to change the heat setting and curling at the hottest heat setting will be best for hard to curl hair!
Good luck! I curl my hair almost daily so these are some tips i’ve learned through out years! Xo