A few things you can do to make a darker shade of foundation work!
- Use it on the outer edges of the face & in the hollow of the cheeks and use a lighter shade or even a shade your own skin tone in the middle of the face. When it’s all blended out it will give your face a more dimensional look not too flat like using one shade all over will.
- Use it as a light cream bronzer/contour.
- Mix it with a lighter foundation on the back of your hand to create a color closer to your skin tone.
- Use a lighter powder over top to make the color seem a little less dark.
- Use more under eye concealer than usual and bring it further down your face onto your cheeks, this will lighten up the face a bit.
- Blend it down your neck onto your chest so your face won’t look abnormally dark.
You might end up needing a darker shade after summer anyway so don’t give up hope! :)
Guerlain Meteorites! They are a very natural looking setting powder, almost translucent. They give the skin a slight sheen, slight coverage and have a brightening effect. Some of the shades are more pink and can be used as a natural looking blush. Some are skintone, some are multi colored and some are blush shades :)
A more affordable option is Physicians Formula Pearls of Perfection. They have skintone/translucent shades, blush shades and bronzer shades. Their skintone shade is more translucent than the Guerlain one which has a little more coverage.
These setting powders, blushes/bronzers are great for those with dry skin or those who don’t want a super matte, cakey setting powder these go on silky and have a brightening effect without being shimmery. The blush/bronzer shades go on very light and natural looking too giving a “glowing from within” blushing look!
Check out my oily skin 101 post here!
You can combat oily skin through skincare, makeup, face masks, primers, setting sprays, how you apply it, etc. There’s many ways to keep your skin shine free so in my Oily Skin 101 post you can find a few tips and products that will work for you :)
Try shades like
Maybelline Colorsensational Vivid in Shocking Coral
MAC Candy Yum Yum
NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu
Try products like
- Garnier BB Cream for Oily/Combination Skin
- Estee Lauder Double Wear All Day Glow BB Cream (newer product)
- Tarte Amazonian Clay BB Cream/Tinted Moisturizer (the amazonian clay makes it more long lasting)
You can even make your own bb cream/tinted moisturizer by mixing a little of your moisturizer with your favorite long lasting foundation on the back of your hand. You can control the amount of coverage this way and use a foundation that’s long lasting since most BB Creams are made to be more moisturizing thus not being that long lasting :)
Any type of clay or mud mask will work great! They are more “drying” so they are great at sucking out and drawing out oils and clogged pores. Clean, oil and dirt free pores = small happy pores! :)
The trick to get rid of oily skin and large pores is making sure your pores are clear and clean! If your pores are clogged, your pores will look larger, when your pores are enlarged they will produce excess oil. So keep your pores clean by exfoliating weekly to prevent any dead skin and dirt build up, have a good skin care routine and use a good face mask once to twice a week.
Check out my post on how to get smaller pores here
Try masks like
Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask $3 at Ulta, Walmart and Walgreens
Glam Glow SuperMud Mask $69 at Sephora. Pricy but great for oily skin! You can literally see all the oil the mask draws out.
Tarte Amazonian Clay Double Detox Exfoliating Mask $38